Monday, September 1, 2008

Our first DJ gig: T-Atoms' report.

So I will start by saying I had a difficult night of sleep the night before!

My neighbor thought it would be great to play music until 4 something in the AM! I know I finally slept around 4:30 and I am sure it was still going past that point! I woke up around 8 and started prepping final touches on my planned playlist!

I got through my day of work and as I was leaving, one of the other teacher's students wanted to go see me play, so he drove us to Sakae!

Now earlier in the day I got a bad case of being nervous and I wanted to drink. So I went to Hub and downed a Long Island Iced Tea to just get a buzz to kill the nerves. It worked.

We waited at the exit for our friends and headed to club exactly at the time we said we would.

Deported and I set up his CDJs and mixer to the clubs sounds, and we started the night off! I went first and did about half of my planned playlist and it was time to let Deported hop on and do his thing. From behind this particular DJ "booth" (it is just space behind the bar), we have no monitor speakers, only sounds from the 2 main big speakers. This is a bit difficult to get a feel for what is going on. Regardlesss, things sounded great from the dancefloor. Since I had been drinking, well hell, even if I hadn't been, I got on the floor to get people to start reppin Deported and The Undercats! While I was chanting, crushmonkey was snappin pics away on his SLR. People began to get up and dance and it felt like a good night out clubbing, and it was being hosted by us! Crazy!

When Deported was done, he called me over to mix me in and I did my thing for who knows how long, and it continued like that all night! So much fun to see people we know who love to go clubbing, dancing and bouncing to OUR DJing.

We all drank a lot, laughed, took pics, relaxed in the lounge and had a great time until 4AM. After that, we got all of Deported's equipment together, and headed home!

Yesterday we got criticism, from one of the only people I trust to give good advice for a good DJ night, and I am really going to take her advice and work on what I did wrong, and work it better for next week's show!

The hardware to record wasn't cooperating with my laptop so I couldn't record anything I did that night, but I will have it up for next week! We are going to experiment with some different music next week, so wish us luck!

Also crushmonkey will begin his gig nights this week, probably Fridays, so if you are free, go support him!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a blast, I know how it goes rockin it with no monitor (むずかしは。。) so good job on keepin it solid despite that. Lookin forward to hearing some more future sounds!

Yom said...

sounds great Tommy, glad it went so well.

Looking forward to going to one when i get back.

ill bring my camera!